Educating School Staff
According to the experts, the best way to prevent problems at school is to step in early. Getting the right information to the right people from the beginning can make a big difference in how they will think about and react to seizures, and how they will treat a child.
Tips for educating school staff:
- Talk to the teacher, principal, and school nurse at the beginning of a school year
- Explain that your child has epilepsy
- Give them printed information about epilepsy*
- Find out how much they know already and what they need to learn
- Offer resources such as a Seizure Action Plan
- Make yourself easily available to answer questions anytime
*There is a lot of information that can be printed from this website and other online resources. The information on this website is also available as a printed parent guide that can be requested by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Epilepsy Foundation Northwest is Alaska’s closest EF affiliate that can provide EF brochures and other printed information free of charge to parents.